Friday, September 23, 2011

Will changing my last name interfere with the SS benefits that I get since my father has retired?

I do not want his last name. I would prefer to have my mothers. I am willing to pay for the process out of my own pocket. But... will this be a problem for my SS benefits? I am receiving $500 a month because my father has retired and I am under 18 (I'm turning 18 in October). Just wondering... I don't want to screw myself over.Will changing my last name interfere with the SS benefits that I get since my father has retired?I can't imagine why you would want to complicate your life like this unless your name was Hogg, or Hitler or something like that

Imagine you are applying for a job and you said you went to ABC school, your perspective employer calls and they say %26quot;no record%26quot;, they are not going to go back and forth with you 14 times on a name change - they will move on to the next candidate

I suspect there is something of a personal nature behind this - but do know it will not be as practical or easy as you might think - your name change will have to be reflected in school records, bank accounts, drivers license, credit cards and a whole bunch of other things

Good luck - you will need it - that and a boatload of time and patienceWill changing my last name interfere with the SS benefits that I get since my father has retired?It shouldn't. A note just gets added to your SS file that you changed your name. However, why not just wait until you are 18 and no longer get the benefits.



I am curious that if your father retired and is still living, how you are collecting SS benefits from him.