Friday, September 23, 2011

If I traveled into the past and change history will I be changing my own timeline or creating a new timeline?

and my own timeline stays the same?If I traveled into the past and change history will I be changing my own timeline or creating a new timeline?Well, there are two theories. Basically the %26quot;Back to the Future%26quot; method, where you change the future but somehow don't affect the timeline that you existed in before you jumped back (hence, you existed to travel back), or Terminator rules, where you can affect the future but never jump forward to see what happened next.



People say that if you were changing your own timeline, you wouldn't have been able to jump back in the first place, which is a time paradox.



Some say that if you go back and change something in the past, you immediately branch off infinite other timelines that could have occurred because of that difference, but you wont' know it, because you'll still exist from your own frame of reference within any timeline that you may have previously existed.



Then there's the time travel is impossible.



I personally enjoy the thought that time travel isn't necessarily impossible, it's just that when you fire up your machine, nothing will happen, because any changes that you're going to make in the past must have already happened, or else you wouldn't be in that position to change things in the first place. You might travel through time, but when you get back, it will be the same as you left it, in every detail.If I traveled into the past and change history will I be changing my own timeline or creating a new timeline?Hi MARK....Very Nice Explaination. You are an wise man...keep it up.

Report Abuse

If I traveled into the past and change history will I be changing my own timeline or creating a new timeline?Time travel has been proved impossible until now... When something goes at a higher speed than the speed of light, it gains mass, it doesnt go back in time... And that was the best theory supporting time travel, so dont even wonder in the impossibleIf I traveled into the past and change history will I be changing my own timeline or creating a new timeline?If you traveled back in time, you would be in the past. Because the past already happened in your own time, you would contribute whatever happened in the present day. If you were to bring something from the past to the present, Lincoln for example, the present day would be different, but because the past already happened, Lincoln would be compelled to return to the post Civil War to do his Reconstruction and then get killed, then the world would move on and history would be the same.

On the other hand there is this thing called the grandfather paradox where if you killed your grandpa before he had kids, you could cease to exist in both past and present.

either way, this is confusing stuff and impossible.If I traveled into the past and change history will I be changing my own timeline or creating a new timeline?Through Einstein's theory of time dilation we can understand how to move forward through time more quickly than our accustomed speeds, though we're still currently limited to the relatively slow speeds of human technology. If traveling backwards in time is possible, then the method used to travel back may determine whether or not you're affecting your original time line or creating a new one and only affecting that. I'm partial to the %26quot;new time line%26quot; idea, meaning if you went back in time and killed Hitler prior to WWII, the would-be victims of that time line may be spared the holocaust but it would not undo the acts done in the time line you left. Likewise, if you went back in time and prevented your mother and father from meeting there would be no %26quot;new%26quot; you born in that time line, but you the traveler would not cease to exist since your parents would have still met and given birth to you in your original time line.