Monday, September 19, 2011

Will changing my fish tank's water kill my fry?

My sunburst platy just had a fry but it's time for a water change. I'm afraid changing my fish tank's water will kill my fry because my water type is hard. What can I do to make sure my fry doesn't die?Will changing my fish tank's water kill my fry?Fry might look fragile, but they're actually a little tougher than people given them credit for. You should be just fine changing your water like you normally do. If you're really afraid it will make a difference on their health, do not do a full water change. Instead do about half the amount you usually would, then in a few days make another partial water change. This way you're not putting in as much new water at a signle time, and they've got time to adapt.



Do you have a gravel vacuum? I found with my guppy fry it was no so much a matter of %26quot;water change shock%26quot; but more %26quot;don't suck up the fry%26quot;. They're currious what that massive tube is, and they get too close. XD So I had to go buy a lighter colored bucket so I could see their darker bodies swimming around in the water I'd just removed.Will changing my fish tank's water kill my fry?Lets see. If you HAVE to change the water i would suggest taking out the fry in a seperate container. Use an average size tupperware container, take water from your take, then add the fry. If you want you can even leave the fry in the container until they get older. This will even help them survive the danger of getting eaten by their parents.Will changing my fish tank's water kill my fry?If your tap water is hard, so is your tank water... So that irrelevant. The fry are already living in hard water and most live bearers are quite happy with that.



To reduce any shock, do a series of smaller water changes, 20% every few days. That way they hardly notice the change.



But bottom line, fresh water doesn't kill fish. Dirty polluted water does. So do the water changes.



IanWill changing my fish tank's water kill my fry?Put the fry into another container while you do your change. To fix the water problem, use reverse osmosis water. That is the only thing I will use in my tanks. It is the closest thing to pure water that you will find. Most Walmarts have filling stations if you don't know where one is.Will changing my fish tank's water kill my fry?Of course, I used a 5 gallon bucket. But no, it didn't hurt them. Check the water before you throw it out that there aren't any fry in it. I've actually had that happen to me, lol, the baby made it just fine too.Will changing my fish tank's water kill my fry?Well.. If you DON'T change the water, THAT could kill your fry :/



You're better off sticking to your routine weekly 25% water changes. Just use a water conditioner on any new water going into the tank.. But I'm sure you already knew that :)Will changing my fish tank's water kill my fry?Put the babies in a fish bowl. then you can clean the tank. if you cant catch them all, wait until you can.