Thursday, September 15, 2011

Generally speaking, will changing my operating system void by computer's warranty?

I think I'm going to install Linux on my Dell.(from Windows 7)



I have a 2-year warranty on my laptop. Will this void it?Generally speaking, will changing my operating system void by computer's warranty?No, only Apple machines' warranties are voided if you try to take control of them. (I still love my iPhone though.)



Before installing Linux and replacing Windows, make sure you like it and know what you're doing. I'd suggest installing them side by side first, then making the leap to Linux-only.Generally speaking, will changing my operating system void by computer's warranty?Depends on who you go through, but a lot of the time, they will consider that a modification to the system, and may not honor the warranty.Generally speaking, will changing my operating system void by computer's warranty?BE AWARE that, primarily with laptops, you may NOT have the needed drivers for any connection except ethernet.

NO modem and/or NO wireless when using Linux.

Suggest you set up a partition for linux and use dual boot instead of replacing win7.Generally speaking, will changing my operating system void by computer's warranty?No, it wont do, the warranty is for the hardware.

Although most computers/laptops don't come with an OS installation disk, so you wont be able to reinstall windows 7 if you change your mind.

I would suggest making a seperate partition on your HDD and install linux there, upto you tho.