Friday, June 3, 2011

Will changing pickups in a hollow body guitar reduce feedback?

I have a Univox Coily, it's a copy of the Gibson 335. It is full hollow body electric guitar and when I turn the volume up on my amp, especially with high gain, I get tons of feedback that I can't get rid of, even if I hold the strings. Is this simply because the guitar is a hollow body guitar? Or can I eliminate the feedback by putting new pickups in it?Will changing pickups in a hollow body guitar reduce feedback?If you don't already have them, its possible that potted pickups will help. Basically, a potted pickup is one in which the coils are encased in a material (usually wax) to reduce feedback. The feedback I'm talking about here is like the feedback you'd get from a microphone, and that sounds like what you may be dealing with. No guarantees, but if you have the ability to try them with an option to return if they don't fix the problem it's worth considering.Will changing pickups in a hollow body guitar reduce feedback?I know this can be frustrating. A lot of it has to do with the fact that the guitar is a hollow body. I have a noise gate that eliminates feedback. Plug the guitar into the gate, then the gate plugs into the amp. The settings allow you to eliminated hum and undertones that cause feedback even when the guitar isn't being played. The Gibson is an awesome guitar, I wouldn't start messing around with the pickups! The fact that it is feeding back, probably means this guitar has great tone and probably won't feedback when the amp is turned down to a %26quot;jamming at home%26quot; level of sound. I'm assuming this is happening when you're at a gig or jamming with a band.

So my advice would be to find an in-line noise gate. It works great for me!Will changing pickups in a hollow body guitar reduce feedback?It's *possible* that better pickups might help. but I think the hollow body is your biggest enemy. If standing farther from the amp or playing at lower volume isn't an option, perhaps you could try stuffing foam rubber into the guitar cavities. Alternately, get a solid body guitar.