Friday, June 3, 2011

Will changing my MAC address remove the bandwidth limit?

I'm with robbers cable and I can understand that bandwidth capping was necessary BEFORE the days of blu ray and high definition material. I will like to see where robbers cable will go when the Playstation 4 comes out and HD becomes a true STANDARD! Enough of my rant now. Anyways, I read up that changing a MAC address is possible and there are plenty tutorials to do it. However, before I go through this I was wondering if changing my MAC address will get around this.Will changing my MAC address remove the bandwidth limit?No changing your MAC address will not remove the bandwidth. The action of changing your mac address only help in disguising yourself after or before you do something. IF you were blocked at a particular website address and you obtain different IP addresses from a router...you may be able to gain access to what ever you were blocked from.



In the case of a bandwidth block...your bandwidth is determined by the ISP cross referencing the mac address of your cable/dsl modem's mac address. IF you were to change it your mac address would be unidentified.Will changing my MAC address remove the bandwidth limit?So just in case the cable technicians are too stupid to realize that they have users wanting to look for ways around bandwidth capping.

http://www.topbits.com/how-to-change-a-m

If I owned/worked at the cable company and I had a customer trying to do this...if I could not find a work around for their work around then I would cancel their account.