Thursday, November 25, 2010

Will changing the pick guard on my guitar effect the resale value years from now?

I bought an american made fender stratocaster sunburst color and it came with a white pick guard. I want to change the pick guard color so it will look better and i'm planning on keeping this guitar for a very very long time. but when the time comes and i might want to sell it, if i don't have the 'original' pick guard it came with, will it effect the resale value of it?Will changing the pick guard on my guitar effect the resale value years from now?Unless the guitar is a first run or limited edition (like an anniversary model) I wouldn't worry about it. Just the wear and tear from picking it up and playing it will probably devalue the guitar more.



You could hang on to the original pick guard. However, those things tend to shrink ever so slightly over the years, and in 25 to 30 years from now it probably won't fit back on the guitar.



I have 2 kinds of guitars...my %26quot;investment%26quot; guitars that I have no emotional ties to that I will buy and sell, and my %26quot;work horses%26quot;, that I'll do whatever to in order to make them work better for me.



Enjoy the guitar now. In 25 years from now, I'm betting you won't want to sell it!



Greetings from Austin, TX



KenWill changing the pick guard on my guitar effect the resale value years from now?It really depends on the buyer. In your case, however, I would advise you to keep the original pickguard, just in case. When you're talking about the higher-end Fenders or Gibsons that are old enough to be considered %26quot;classics,%26quot; most buyers want all-original hardware. If you don't have it, many buyers will pass you by and those who are interested will offer you less than it would be worth.
  • buy web hosting
  • good myspace
  •