Thursday, November 25, 2010

Will changing from a 5B to a 7C mouthpiece on my trumpet make much a difference?

I'm still really new to the trumpet, and I am renting a trumpet from a local music store. It came with a Bach 5B mouthpiece. In band I see everyone else with a 7C, and i've heard that a 5B is for intermediate to advanced. Would changing to a 7C make too much of a difference? Will I be able to play higher notes? (and if so, would it be significantly higher?)



ThanksWill changing from a 5B to a 7C mouthpiece on my trumpet make much a difference?Get a 7c! No new player should be playing on a 5B. First go to the store and ask if they can switch it out because they should know better than to supply a 5B with a student trumpet. You might be able to play higher notes with the 5B, but the reason a beginner should be on a 7C is because they aid in more rapid development of all registers and allow you to develop normally and produce a good tone. A 5B is meant for high register playing, meaning the cup is small. Your tone is not ready for a shallow cup and the number 5 means the rim is smaller than the 7, so your endurance will be hurt and mouth muscles wont develop properly.